If you are an experienced and talented professional and thinking about going abroad for work from India. Canada is a great place to work abroad for several reasons including a strong economy, high quality of life, multicultural society and an easy path to citizenship.
According to the Government of Canada, there are nearly 1 Million job vacancies for skilled workers. This could be a great opportunity for skilled professionals looking for a job in Canada from India.
As a 5 year Experienced Canadian Job Search Consultant, I have guided many candidates in successfully getting a job in Canada. I would like to share the path and step-by-step process that could eventually land you in your dream job in Canada.
1. Eligibility and Basic requirements to apply for a canadian job
To apply for jobs and work in Canada, you meet the following requirements:
Necessary Skills and Work Experience:
You must have the necessary skills and at least 3 years of work experience in a field in demand in Canada. You can check the Canadian National Occupation List (NOC) to see if your occupation is on the in-demand list.
Must be proficient in speaking in English or French. You need to take tests like IELTS or CELPIP to check your English and French language proficiency.
Once you have the necessary skills and work experience then you start your job search process. To find a job in Canada from India, follow the below steps:
2. Do Research on the Canadian job market.
Check about the different types of jobs that are available in Canada, Identify the skills that are in demand and work experience that most Canadian employers are looking for.
Find the jobs that are in demand in Canada and their average salaries for various positions.
There are many online resources and websites like Indeed, Linkedin and Monster that will be helpful for your Canadian job market research.
Jobs in Demand in Canada and their Average Salaries in CAD
- Registered nurses: CAD 70,000
- Licensed practical nurses: CAD 50,000
- Software engineers: CAD 90,000
- Web developers: CAD 75,000
- Data scientists: CAD 100,000
- Accountants: CAD 75,000
- Financial analysts: CAD 80,000
- Teachers: CAD 60,000
- Truck drivers: CAD 65,000
- Construction workers: CAD 60,000
- Customer service representatives: CAD 40,000
3. Tailor your resume and cover letter to the Canadian job market.
Prepare a resume that follows the Canadian resume format and job market standards. Highlight your work experience and skills relevant to the jobs you are applying for.
Try to add the keywords in the resume used in the Canadian job postings.
You can also utilise the services of our resume writing experts to help you build an ATS-friendly Canadian standard resume.
4. Network with people in Canada.
Connect with people on LinkedIn working in Canada in your field, engage with them, ask about their job search experiences to learn and avoid mistakes, and inquire about any job openings.
Reach out to friends and family members living in Canada to see if they know of any job openings. Networking is a great way to find hidden job openings.
5. Apply for canadian jobs online.
There are many job boards and websites where you can apply for jobs in Canada from India. Some popular job search sites include Indeed, LinkedIn, Monster, and Job Bank Canada. You can also search for jobs on the career and hiring pages of the websites of specific companies in Canada.
Job portals to apply for jobs in Canada:
Here is a list of the top 10 job portals to apply for jobs in Canada from India, with links:
- Indeed Canada: https://www.indeed.ca/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/
- Monster Canada: https://www.monster.ca/
- Job Bank Canada: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/
- CareerBuilder Canada: https://www.careerbuilder.ca/
- Eluta: https://www.eluta.ca/
- Workopolis: https://www.workopolis.com/
- Jobillico: https://www.jobillico.com/
- Jobboom: https://www.jobboom.com/
- Talent Egg: https://www.talentegg.ca/
These online job portals offer job openings from employers across Canada. You can search for jobs by keyword, location, and other criteria. You can also create a profile and upload your resume so employers can find you.
6. Prepare for job interviews.
Prepare thoroughly for the interviews before attending the interview. Know about the company and the position you are applying for. Practice answering general interview questions to a friend or family member to gain confidence.
7. Obtain a Canadian work visa.
The most applied Canadian work visa for Indians is the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). This program allows Canadian employers to hire foreign skilled workers to fill the job positions that cannot be filled by permanent residents or citizens.
To be eligible for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, you must have a valid job offer from a licensed Canadian employer. You must also meet the following basic eligibility requirements:
- Have a valid passport
- Must Be at least 18 years old
- Have the necessary skills and work experience for the job
- Be in good health
- Have no criminal record
Once you have a valid job offer and meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for a TFWP work permit. The application process can be complex, So, it is necessary to take assistance from a professional canada immigration consultant near you.
Below are some tips for increasing your chances of successfully applying for a Canadian work visa:
- Make sure you have a valid job offer from a Licensed Canadian employer.
- Meet all of the eligibility requirements for the TFWP.
- Complete the application form carefully and accurately.
- Provide all of the required supporting documents.
- Be prepared to answer questions about your job offer and your educational qualifications.
Frequently asked question and answers:
Which is better way to go to Canada: through Permanent Residency (PR) or through a job offer?
Confused in choosing the way to go to Canada: Canada on PR and then find a job, or to find a job and go to Canada on a PR or work visa?
Each method has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Going to Canada on PR and finding a job:
Moving to Canada on a PR visa gives you the freedom to live and work anywhere in Canada, and you will be eligible for the same social benefits as Canadian citizens, such as healthcare and education. However, it can be difficult to find a job in Canada, especially if you are new to the country and do not have any Canadian work experience.
You can apply for Canada PR through the express entry program. Consult a Canada Immigration Consultant for any professional help.
- Find a job and go to Canada on a PR or work visa:
This option gives you the certainty of having a job before you move to Canada, which can make it easier to settle in. However, you may be limited to certain jobs or may be able to work in a few locations, and you may not be eligible for the same social benefits as Canadian citizens.
In short, finding a job and going to Canada on a PR or work visa may be the better option for you. However, you must meet certain requirements to be eligible to apply for a permanent residency visa